Have you always wanted to work with marine life? Then check the info below and see if you have what it takes to join AIMM!
Know more about who we are!
AIMM is a non-governmental, non-profit environmental organization that since 2010 has been dedicated to promoting research, education and conservation regarding marine species and ecosystems. We are based in the Algarve region, in the south of Portugal, where we carry out most of our activities.
We are currently looking for a volunteer research assistant for our 2023 field season.
- Each year, from April to December, AIMM runs the field season, and also our internship program, the Dolphin Research Internship. We receive interns of all ages and backgrounds, from across the world, to participate in this program. We are currently looking for a person for a Volunteer Research Assistant position for this field season of 2023.
- You will be joining a small and dedicated team of scientists and researchers and you’ll provide vital support to the ongoing data collection and everything related to the internship program. Most of the team members and all the participants share accommodation, house tasks, knowledge and experience in an environmentally friendly, familiar and multicultural environment.
Meet two of our Researchers in the video below!
be at least 21 years of age ;
be fluent in English (mandatory) and Portuguese (highly desirable);
have previous experience with cetaceans and/or marine sciences (mandatory);
hold a full, manual Driving License, valid in the EU (mandatory);
have a valid skipper powerboat license and boating experience (highly desirable);
be able to commit to until the end of the season – December (highly desirable);
have proven experience in team leadership and group supervision;
be highly motivated, responsible and organized with genuine attention to details;
have a friendly, patient and tolerant personality, and be capable of working with people from different cultures, beliefs, and backgrounds.
- Ferreiras, Albufeira – Portugal (view Field Station on Google maps)
What we can offer:
- The Research Assistants will participate directly in our fieldwork and will receive training and supervision in species identification, research and data collection methods, photo-identification and the use of GPS and camera equipment. In turn, you will be responsible for supervising the interns while conducting surveys on AIMM’s research vessel, Ketos, on dolphin watching boats of our partners, and during land-based observation . You will also have to ensure that data is collected and entered accurately and according to AIMM’s established methodologies. Field days can be long and intense, especially in the peak of summer, but are always fulfilling and good fun!
- Additionally, you will receive 3 meals a day and accommodation in AIMM’s shared Field Station with all the other members of the team. You will be entitled to 1 day off per week when you may explore the local area or simply rest with a good book by the pool!